Monday, April 16, 2018

Harappa-curse of the blood River : Vineet Bajpai

I bought this book because Amazon recommended me so.! Now I really wonder why.! True, that I got deeply involved with the 'Shiva trilogy' and am a big fan of Da Vinci code as well as the Krishna key.! Though the author claims he has been inspired by many such works, almost no where in these books I've witnessed such a casteist attitude. I, as a reader try to my heart's content to ignore this but the repetitions are too overwhelming beyond limits. True, that the plot is gripping and the flow is smooth and captivating. I truly appreciate the author trying to emphasize Hinduism as the peaceful Vedic way of life, projecting the violence of other religions to propogate around. Nevertheless, he has comfortably ignored the violence surrounding that particular religion and most importantly the 'varna' or the 'caste' system imposed by the devtas (as the author fondly calls them) which subdugated fellow human beings to the lowest level possible, rendering them powerless and that it was the British rule that led way to the very few powers they have right now.. By repeating the "half human, half God" phrase again and again, I feel it's being reiterated for the reader to believe that a human is worthy of worship just because of his bloodline.!! Seriously.! Now there's the proof that I'm not being paranoid.. I can only see these heroes being repeatedly praised by the author Just in words that they are this, they can do that etc., But never once I've actually 'felt' their power.. I really think the readers oughta feel for themselves rather than being imposed.. coz the devtas are so lacking in action for God's sake.!
*Spoiler ahead*
And the final blow came to me when he framed Bala (aka Balakrishnan) as the traitor.. initially while I was reading the book, I was so surprised that this south Indian name (the only one btw) popped up in a good way and I always carried this hunch that he is gonna be portrayed in a bad way soon. I hoped beyond hope that it wouldn't happen but Lo.! I was not wrong... He 'is' the traitor.
Now that's it. 
I still agree that the plot, storyline, writing is all commendable. But subtly and most of the times overtly this is what surfaces again and again. The importance of blood and the unquestionable authority it gives you, that hero worship is acceptable beyond reason just because you belong to a particular clan.
Sorry, that doesn't go well with me and Amazon I hope you don't let me down again.
I reached the end of the book because I have spent my hard earned money on these books (yeah, I got them both coz I could never handle the suspense of sequales!!)
If you are not bothered by any of this superiority and stuff, it's truly an enjoyable read.! Cheers.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment